No Bail Application for Accused Baby Killer

July 16, 2012 – 10:05AM | Amy Remeikis

A father charged with the murder of his seven-month-old son has been in a mental health facility since his arrest, the Beenleigh Magistrate Court has heard today.

The 38-year-old man was charged late last month with murdering his baby son after the pair plunged into the Logan River at Beenleigh, south of Brisbane.

Police divers recovered the baby’s body the next morning.

The matter was mentioned in court today and adjourned until September 3.

The accused, who is now also facing two minor drug charges, did not appear today in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court and there was no application for bail.

His solicitor Mark Williams, from Potts Lawyers, said his client was “doing as well as can be expected”.

Having the matter heard in a mental health court was one avenue that they were investigating, he said.

Mr Williams said of the man’s family “as I understand it, they are doing well, they are dealing with the situation as best they can.”

Read the full article.